Join our Team
The Reher Center is a little institution with big vision that offers opportunities for skilled, collaborative, and imaginative individuals from all backgrounds to plug in to meaningful volunteer and career opportunities. The Reher Center is a designated 501 (c ) (3) organization. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage anyone who has a passion for what we do to apply.
Here are some ways you can be involved:
Volunteer with a Committee
Our volunteer committees provide day-to-day person-power and advisory insight into the Reher Center’s operations. Committees we are looking to expand include: fundraising, buildings and grounds, and communications.
Contact us at Info@ReherCenter.org with ideas and questions
The Reher Center for Immigrant Culture and History seeks an experienced programs and operations coordinator to provide logistical and administrative support for the Reher Center, a fast-growing and new institution in Kingston, NY. The coordinator will assist in setting up and managing the Reher Center’s new office space and provide staffing and logistical support for the Reher Center’s public programs, which aim to provide engaging and educational experiences focused on the themes of immigration, community, work and bread.
The ideal candidate for this position is detail oriented, with past experience in administrative or office management positions and in setting up and running public programs. The coordinator will do both behind-the-scenes work and interface closely with visitors and donors, playing a crucial role in helping to build our office culture and in enabling the Reher Center to execute its mission of engaging local audiences, including immigrant and Spanish-speaking communities.
Within this varied role, the operations coordinator will be responsible for managing vendors for office and building services, providing administrative support for our development team, maintaining office supplies and online file systems, and providing staffing and logistical support for Reher Center public programs.
About the Reher Center
The Reher Center for Immigrant Culture and History strengthens communal connections in Kingston by presenting experiences that preserve and interpret local history, amplify the voices of immigrants, and draw diverse audiences through a focus on shared stories of community, work, and bread. Based in historic Reher’s Bakery in Kingston’s Rondout neighborhood, the Reher Center draws upon the history of the Reher family as well as the multitude of immigration stories of the Hudson Valley to create relevant programming that engages and empowers visitors.
- Establishing and maintaining Reher Center office space, including supplies inventory, physical storage and digital filing systems, office calendars and maintenance schedules.
- Identifying and managing site-related vendors and contractors to maintain newly-opened staff offices, public gallery spaces and courtyard
- Assisting with development-related tasks, including gift entry, sending acknowledgements, and staffing development events
- Assist in the planning, preparation, and execution of both in-person and virtual Reher Center public programs, including but not limited to assisting with run-of-show planning; managing event registration and communication with participants, and staffing events
- Two years of experience in an administrative or office management role
- Ability to create welcoming and warm environment for all Reher Center visitors and program participants of all ages and backgrounds
- Ability to work with outside vendors, manage contacts and maintenance calendars, and communicate clearly with Reher Center contractors
- Interest, appreciation, and/or experience in immigration history, local foodways, and baking and culinary traditions, particularly of local communities
- Excellent organizational, administrative, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and digital communication skills
- Comfort with Google and Microsoft suites, as well as knowledge of/or willingness to learn Eventbrite, PayPal, and Mailchimp.
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively
- Applicants fluent in English and Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply
$20/hour for 20 hours of work per week. This position will start in February 2022. Some evening and weekend work is required. The Reher Center intends to produce both in-person and virtual events in the 2022 calendar year but the coordinator should expect to work on site the majority of the time.
Applicants should be able to lift up to 25lbs, and will need to move around the Reher Center’s historic bakery and gallery space, as well as visit off-site locations. The Reher Center has 14 steps leading to the 2nd floor gallery from the sidewalk, 2 steps up into the historic bakery from the sidewalk, and 2 steps down into the oven area of the bakery.
COVID-19 Safety Policies
In accordance with Reher Center policies, all candidates must present proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request to the Reher Center HR committee in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to info@ReherCenter.org by February 4th; applications without a cover letter will not be reviewed. Please put Programs and Operations Coordinator in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
The Reher Center is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.